Tuesday 28 September 2010

Some experimentation!


I am trying to make more of an effort to explore different, more spontaneous, ways of painting... not because I want to move away from my current style of painting necessarily- but because I know lessons learned sketching from life and quick loose studies will benefit my overall work.

With such little spare time to paint running round after my two small boys and trying to keep on top of commissions/work for exhibitions it's hard to make time to have a play about but when I do I'm always pleased I did.

Above is a 16" x 14" (I think!) 25 min sketch in oils that I did this morning. I had some paint left on my palette and knew I HAD to be out the door in 25 mins to go collect my children so I went for it! Poor horse has some nose issues going on amongst other things but he was fun to paint and could have been a lot worse given I just went straight in with a whopping big (for me!) brush! LOL!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Hannah, even though I know you are being nice that actually means a lot given how much I love your work x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely when a random "experiment" works out as well as this Laura a time limit is a great way to achieve a looser style and is fun too ;-)

    ReplyDelete