Saturday, 31 July 2010

Another update, really need a title!

Still working away...

Thursday, 29 July 2010

Another update

Rider now totally blocked in, and more detail on the top section of the neck, and the face. This really is going to be a long project!

Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Still no title...

More done, on the horse that is, have been really slacking on the rider and background!

A few more glazes of raw umber and then burnt umber over the horse and I now think I have a rich enough foundation to start the fine detail over the top. Did some detailed work on the face today but must get back to the rider tomorrow....

Sunday, 25 July 2010

And some more... still title-less

Still just roughing things in, blocking out colours and generally putting down the foundations. It's a big painting so the small photo makes it look a lot more finished than it is, you can see a close up below!

Saturday, 24 July 2010

More done...

Managed to get some more done on my new 30" x 30" last night (pictured below), and again today (above). Just blocking in areas of colour and highlight/shadow, glazing over, and then picking them out again. True to form I'm spending more time on the horse than anything else, will have to play catch up with the rider tomorrow!

Friday, 23 July 2010

A start made...

This blog has been very neglected as late, I think because I have shifted more towards using my Facebook page to post updates on my work this place has become a bit redundant! Rather than duplicate things I'll probably continue to use the blog, but mainly to keep a track of works in progress.

Speaking of which, I have made a start on the 30" x 30" canvas! No time lapse video though... I ordered a gadget to enable my camera to take photos automatically at intervals but it didn't arrive and I then worked out I hadn't put the order through correctly and I am too keen to get going with the painting to wait now!

So far I have gessoed and sanded the canvas until eggshell smooth, applied a wash of raw sienna/ titanium white/ burnt umber, transferred the drawing onto the canvas over the top and then picked out main highlights and darks. My main aim at this stage is to protect the drawing really so that I can glaze over it without covering it completely and losing the work so far.

The horse looks huge... going to be a long project I think!

Thursday, 8 July 2010

New time lapse video project

A few of you might remember that back in February, I created a time lapse video of 'Winter Beach Polo' being created (you can see it on YouTube here if you missed it). All of a sudden I have the urge to paint something big again, specifically a big version of mini painting 'The Diva'.

I really want to push myself with this painting, and produce something in a different league to my previous work, so figure I might as well set the tripod up and record the process as I find it quite interesting to watch and other people seem to too!

The big, white, empty 30" x 30" canvas looks a bit daunting at the moment (esp after working on several postcard-sized works recently!)! I want to paint this in very fine detail, so to help me do that the canvas will now have many layers of gesso applied, sanded between each layer until the canvas is eggshell smooth- then I can get to work!

The ebay auction of the postcard sized version of the painting finishes this evening, you can view it and bid on it here.

Friday, 2 July 2010

'The Diva'

Another little ebay painting! 7" x 5" oil on canvas board. You can find the auction on ebay here, 1p start and no reserve. Think I might live to regret putting this on one but nevermind! The oainting is of Louisa Lockwood and The Diva warming up for the dressage phase of Bramham Horse Trials last month. Have very much been enjoying these little paintings!

SEA pre-selection results arrived in my in-box this week, of my 6 entries 2 recieved 'yes' votes ('Winter Beach Polo' and 'Wandering') so I shall be taking them both down to London later in the month to be passed in front of the selection panel. Fingers crossed! In previous years Friends of the Society (of which I am one) were permitted just 3 entries, it was changed to 6 this year (although a maximum of 3 paintings could still actually be hung)- I'm so glad it changed and that I took advantage of it as had I submitted just 3 I would not have entered the only ones that the panel liked, I preferred my other entries! I understand that there were a great deal more entries this year compared with last so I am very pleased indeed to get 2 past this stage.