Thursday, 26 April 2012
Wednesday, 25 April 2012
Going to try and fit in Beswick Horse No. 7 this evening, after hours on a big slow painting I am in the mood for some life painting...
Posted by Laura Barber-Riley at 12:39
Saturday, 14 April 2012
Haven't exactly been knocking these Beswick horse paintings out as dedicatedly as I hoped I would, but the Easter holidays have been quite busy so not much time for painting!
Number 6. I am pleased with the body, think this is the closest I have got to the actual colour and gloss of the ornament- not the best drawing wise though... head wrong, legs wrong, plenty wrong really! Still an improvement on No. 5 though so heading in the right direction.
Posted by Laura Barber-Riley at 16:11
Sunday, 8 April 2012
'Chestnut Arab' 12" x 12" oil on box canvas.
Did some more glaze work since my last posting and today sat and had a nice long painting session getting it finished! Really pleased with it, be very happy to keep it myself but it is available if anyone wants it! Details on my website www.laurabarber-riley.com.
Thursday, 5 April 2012
The Easter holidays make getting much painting done difficult, with both children home all day! I have managed to commandeer the kitchen table though and get a surprising amount of work done on this new 12" x 12" painting. I have been glazing in very very thin layers of paint which has meant I can grab a few minutes on it here and there- it is drying so quickly because of the thin layers so I'm managing to build it up in little sittings a few times a day. Handy! This is the smoothest canvas I think I have ever used, I sanded it completely smooth ages ago for a rose painting that I never got on with- it's absolutely perfect for this technique. I have only used a couple of colours in it so far, hoping this evening it will be dry enough to start glazing with some more interesting pigments once the children are in bed!
Pleased with it so far, such a pretty horse! It's based on a photograph I took at an arab show back in 2009, not disimilar to the pose in another painting I did, 'Arabian Filly'... I think I prefer this one though. Funny how over time you see something in a photograph that you skipped by perviously.
I think it has about 5 layers of paint on so far, haven't photographed them all but you can see a few below...
Posted by Laura Barber-Riley at 09:51
Tuesday, 3 April 2012
I am feeling quite excited about this project this morning, obviously there is still an enormous amount of room for improvement but I am thrilled with how much I have improved in just 5 paintings of this ornament.
Rainy day here today, hoping I can get the children busy with a creative project of their own and then get on with No.6... only 25 to go!
Posted by Laura Barber-Riley at 07:45
Monday, 2 April 2012
I completed No.5 this evening but it was too dark to take a photo, it was a definite improvement although still pretty rubbish!!!! I don't mind how bad they are though as long as they get better with each one, which I think generally they are in one way or another. No.3 is below, No.4 above. I think although the paint handling and description of light/colour in No.4 was a bit of a step back the drawing was a lot better than the first three.
Posted by Laura Barber-Riley at 20:55