Saturday 8 January 2011

Day 8...


I'm over a week into my 365-2011 painting project and so far I have managed a painting every day and enjoyed it! On a less positive note though, turns out I am RUBBISH at painting like this- fast, and from life!

Some of my efforts (actually, most) so far have been truly embarrassing but I have been true to my word and gone straight in with the paint, no drawing, and stopped when my half hour timer buzzer goes off... in some ways I am pleased I'm so dreadful as it will make the journey all the more interesting and I'm sure I must improve after a whole year of doing it? Plus, I really do think my usual work will benefit, even if I do approach it in an almost completely opposite way! The above is my third attempt at a little pony figurine I have had since my childhood. If you want a laugh just visit my 365-2011 Flickr album to see my other attempts at it, not to mention other crimes against art!

My next big original is all drawn out over a plain blue background so hoping to get that started tomorrow, can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Well done you for sticking to your resolution so far.
    I really like the still life subjects - you could probably sell those 'as are'

    I'm so used to seeing your beautiful, fine detailed equine paintings that your 30 minute ones take a bit of getting used to ... but they are horses and its amazing you can get that far in half-hour. It will be very interesting to compare the early ones with those, say 6 months down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't help either that the little figurine is quite stylised too so does't look like a real pony would... I am hoping to get out and about painting some real horses when I can, and am eyeing up a few of my little boys' 'lifelike' little model horses.

    Really really looking forward to looking back on these and I really hope there is a big difference in a few months!

    ReplyDelete