Thursday 10 March 2011

Another Friesian update.


Another few hours spent on the front horse today re-establishing the highlights and adding colour. I keep lifting off the dark areas when I'm working as they are taking a long time to dry so I think I'll do a bit more work on the front horse's face this evening, stick the floor shadows down, give them tails, and then leave it for a week to dry properly before getting back to it. It's still quite rough close up! It is really hard to judge the darks as they all sink a bit once they are dry; I'm toying with the idea of adding a layer of retouch varnish to give everything an even gloss and see where I am at better!


Need to think of a title too...

4 comments:

  1. That was a quick update! You know, I didn't even realise the tails were missing until I read this, aha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep forgetting I have them to do!! Not much of them to paint, they are mostly out of sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't paint ... much happier with pencils but I love following your experiments and seeing how you work through these different stages. I'm sure this will turn out to be a stunner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are right Sue! Every painting I do feels like an experiment... I work far too instinctively without much of a plan! Must be nice for all those super-experienced painters out there who feel like they know they are doing most of the time! :-D

    ReplyDelete