Friday 13 January 2012

'In the Shadows' in progress, Day 5


All I can say is I am so glad this is an original rather than a commission- sleep would be lost otherwise! Some paintings seem to just paint themselves while others take a lot of muddling through with plenty of challenges along the way- this painting is definitely in the latter category!!! All those colours in the coat, none of them resembling anything like the palomino colour my mind thinks it should be... almost makes my head hurt! Never let it be said I don't like to push myself out of my comfort zone now and again haha!

It's been a week since I last worked on this painting yet still some of the paint wasn't dry! Just the very brightest parts of the mane were still wet so I managed to get a good sitting in, think I really am going to have to leave it a good fortnight now before the next layer to make sure I'm not going to lift off any of this layer. The slow drying is making a tricky painting even trickier as by the time I come to sit back down to it I have sort of lost my train of thought re where I'm going next! At least I will have the benefit of fresh eyes I guess!

That said, I am pleased with the progress today... think I might have a sound enough basis to get the tiny brushes out next time to make a start on the details, always my favourite part! It's still quite sketchy at the moment, a lot of work left to do! The darkest darks are down now so I can start to think about the more golden and red coat colours over the top.

Onwards and upwards... (with fingers crossed)!

.

2 comments:

  1. I would say good luck with finishing this painting, but personally, to me, it looks finished and BRILLIANT!...I know where you are coming from with the self critique though (I get weighed down with it sometimes, don't we all)....but seriously on looking at it without any preconceived ideas, it is utterly BRILLIANT (I know I said that before)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks for the vote of confidence Ann! Yes, sometimes it is hard to look at your own work objectively isn't it, hopefully it will look even better to you once it is finished! Thanks again :-)

    ReplyDelete