Monday 16 January 2012

'Portrait of a Black Horse' (Study) - currently available on eBay


My first mini painting in several months, a study for a possible larger painting. This one is 6" x 6" and an image I have wanted to paint for ages! Had stopped myself previously as I have been trying to avoid painting 'boring' headshots but something kept me coming back to this one... I think perhaps the simplicity is what I love about it!

My original plan was a blurry background of countryside in the distance, which I duly painted, but when it was finished it just didn't really have the impact I wanted. Lots of pinks, purples, and blues went into the horses coat so I simply mixed the area of my palette I had been using for those and used that as the background! I think it works so so much better than the original plan, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

The painting is being auctioned on eBay, finishing on the evening of Monday 23rd January. As usual the bidding starts at 1p with no reserve, you can bid here.

.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!...and you definitely made the right decision to keep the background plain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! I wish I had taken a photo before I painted over the original background, it completely transformed it! Funny how sometimes split second decisions can have a big affect on a piece of work!

      Delete