Friday 14 August 2009

'Idalgo'


I have managed to make a start on a new original painting this week; it is based on a series of photographs that I took of William Fox-Pitt entering the cross country warm up area on the very beautiful Idalgo at Badminton Horse Trials this year.

The painting is oil on canvas, 20” x 16” (50cm x 40cm). The canvas has been gessoed and sanded many times to provide a lovely smooth surface to work on, and a few layers of thin paint applied over the whole thing before the drawing went on. I'm currently working to complete the first layer of the single tone underpainting, which will form the basis of the painting over which layers of colour will eventually be applied.

Just the sky started so far, and the first rough layer of paint started on his face...


3 comments:

  1. I love it already ... can't wait to see the next stage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, the spikey bits of mane shadows and the teeth make it look really freaky looking so I can't wait to get more done this weekend! The freakiness is bugging me everytime I walk past the room and see it in the corner of my eye...!

    In fact, I think I am having second thoughts about the teeth showing altogether lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This already has the look of another great painting Laura~ like Sue I am looking forward to watching your progress :-)

    ReplyDelete