Monday 17 August 2009

'Idalgo'


First colour glazes on today! For the glazes I scrub neat oil paint into the canvas over the underpainting, the paint is spread thinly enough to see the underpainting underneath, I then go back over picking out highlights and shadows ready for the next glaze to go on once it's dry.

The first glaze earlier today was a gold ochre (photo below) which spread thinly looked a horrible mustard colour... some red ochre was glazed over the top this evening (photo above) and the main highlights picked out again.

At this stage the colour looks washed out and lack-lustre; as more and more glazes are applied over the top it *should* become much richer and deeper in colour with more and more depth. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful Laura I am soooo jealous! It comes so easy too you now, lol!
    Another winner methinks! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm I'm not sure I quite share your optimism; I think I might end up disappointed with this one! I wish I had just used burnt umber for the underpainting rather than mixing it with black as it has left the shadows really dirty looking and created a lot of extra work.

    Hoping it will start to come to life at bit more as more glazes go on, it looks a bit flat and dead at the moment!

    ReplyDelete