Wednesday 30 September 2009

Untitled so far...


None of my commissioned paintings were dry enough to work on today so I took the opportunity to make a start on my next original piece. This is 12" x 16" (30cm x 40cm) oil on canvas, and based on photographs that I took of part-bred arabs showing in hand at the Northern Arabian Horse Show in July.

The horse is a dark bay colour so I am using a mixture of raw umber and ivory black for the underpainting, along with titanium white. So far I have just very roughly sketched in the main areas of light and dark. As usual I have given no thought yet whatsoever to how I'd like the background... I never learn.

3 comments:

  1. I'm amazed at how quickly you work!
    Looking forward to seeing the next stages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the horse drawn out for ages, was just the first paint to go on so not technically starting from scratch today. I do work quite quickly early on though- this was slapped together rather haphazardly during my little boy's nap as I knew he could wake up at any moment!

    ReplyDelete