Wednesday 24 June 2009

Young Arab


I made a start on a new painting this week, this one features a beautiful young chestnut I saw competing in hand at the Northern Arabian Horse Show last weekend. My visit to the show was a fleeting one but I took away lots of wonderful reference material to paint from; the weather was fantastic and the horses breathtaking. I have been longing to paint an Arab for ages so I'm excited about getting going with this one. I am working on a deep canvas this time, 20" x 16" (50cm x 40cm ish). I have tried something a little different this time and blocked the whole canvas in the background colour before sketching the horse over the top- I am reserving judgement as to whether it helps or not! The green is brighter than I wanted it so I suspect it will be get painted over anyway eventually, nevermind!

Just the first sketchy layer of paint down so far. The green background forced me to be a bit bolder with my first layer, will be interesting to see if it makes a difference to the finished result.

No comments:

Post a Comment