Wednesday 7 October 2009

Dark Horse


Current painting now has a title, even if it is a totally unoriginal uninspired one...

Have done small bits and bobs on this between commissions. Tried a smudgey smokey brown background first but it didn't work at all- the whole thing looked a mess! Since then I have put a dark grey background in which I'm much happier with. Have put a transparent layer of gold ochre over the brown points of the horse and then picked the highlights and lowlights out again.

It's looking quite dramatic now which I quite like! Quite a bit left to do, need to get a move on to get it to the framers in time!!!

6 comments:

  1. That gold ochre has really given a metallic sheen to the horse - looks almost like a bronze statue. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, I seem to use gold ochre a lot, I think because it is so transparent I find it really handy for glazes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that background! Makes it very dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, love the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant believe how different this looks Laura, its even more gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! It does look really different doesn't it Steph, the horse looks LOADS lighter than in the previous photo yet in reality it is just the background colour that changed. Another example of how photos distort things!!!

    ReplyDelete