Friday 19 February 2010

Unproductive week

Thanks to my eldest, Oliver, being unwell with a nasty cold all week I have got very little done at all since the weekend. On the rare occasions I have had the opportunity to paint I have either been waaayyyyy too tired after being up administering calpol and cuddles half the night, or felt the need to opt for a large glass of wine to unwind with after his bedtime instead! Roll on the weekend!

It hasn't been an entirely wasted week though. Whilst sitting watching Finding Nemo for the trillionth time I decided it was about time I stopped moaning about being unable to get to any life drawing classes and make use of the live models I have at home everyday. So, I have pledged to sketch my children and dogs daily in a little hardback sketchbook I have. For some reason I have always found drawing people incredibly difficult and generally avoid it as far as possible- especially faces- so it came as no surprise to me that my sketches were indeed totally rubbish. I'm hoping that once my little book is full I'll be able to look back and see lots of improvement!

Poor Henry has been my main subject so far, what with generally staying still(ish) for longer than anyone else... I hope one day he can forgive me for representing him with such dreadful inaccuracy LOL! He is beautiful in real life, honest!

6 comments:

  1. How lovely that in years to come you'll have a wonderful record of the children growing up - much better than photos methinks :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't thought of it that way! I'm sure it would be a lovely record if I was able to capture them properly haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell ou what Laura..........don't show him! my sons have yet to forgive me for the many portraits I have done of them as they grew up...they hate them even though I treasure every one of them so my advice is keep them for yourself and treasure the memories:-)
    I secretly think my boys will fight over who gets to keep them when I'm dead LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! I bet your portraits were beautiful Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to see your Oliver has been poorly. I can totally sympathise with the round the clock calpol. I have to keep lavender drops on my Oliver's matress when he's all bunged up.

    Glad to see you're tackling people now. I haven't the knack to do people and gave up years ago. I find people very hard to do. I did a large 5ft face portrait of myself for a uni project and that was it for me, way too fiddily. You'll beable to do my photo of Holly and My Oliver soon ;)

    I've got 2 other photos for you to look at, I'll forward them once I've loaded them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid there is no chance of me doing proper people portraits Claire! Did you not see the example of my 'people' sketching above lol!? I'm only sketching the boys to improve my observation and life drawing skills really. I think people are hard because we have such preconcieved ideas about what they look like- hard to look objectively at your subject. That's my excuse anyway.

    ReplyDelete