Friday 1 January 2010

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year everyone!

The last month has been a lovely break from painting for me, I'm now ready to get going again and full of enthusiasm for new original work I have planned!

My first aim of 2010 is to get work accepted into the Society of Equestrian Artists Annual Exhibition again; the deadline for entries is the end of May so I need to get my skates on! Competition looks set to be even stiffer this year as the exhibition has been made an open one. On the plus side artists can enter 6 rather than 3 works so I suppose there is more opportunity to get up to 3 accepted... if I can manage to rustle up 6 before then (seems a bit unlikely to be honest!).

So, I have made a start on my first original oil of the year today! It's a rather ambitious 36" x 28" entitled 'Windswept' which features a beautiful Dales mare owned by the Nipna Stud that I visited last year. I have never worked this big before- a blank canvas this size is rather intimidating so I have made a start by VERY roughly just slapping paint on to cover it a bit! I will be aiming to paint this with as much realism as I can, so I think I'll be working on it for rather a long time! People always ask me how long my paintings take me, and I never have a clue so I'm timing this one- 3 hours spent so far, including canvas preparation.

I wish you all a happy and successful 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment