Saturday 30 January 2010

'Donkeys'


The first colour went on today! Most of my time was spent on the grass and the foal, but a quick glaze has gone over the adult donkey and the far background too.

As always I'm struggling with the grass. The blurry but realistic look I want is so tricky to get! I'm reasonably happy with the texture and tone at the moment, it just looks a bit acidic. Going to leave it for now, once a few more glazes have gone on the donkeys they'll lose their stark whiteness and that will affect the way the grass looks so will re-evalute later!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    Your little donkeys are looking good. I really like your work and am surprised that you haven't exhibited before 2009, you look as if you have years of experience behind you. Good luck for 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Bev, your work is lovely also! I'm flattered that you think I look more experienced than I am! I only started painting in 2008 so still very much learning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The donkeys are looking wonderful Laura. The foal is looking so fluffy, you can almost touch his coat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your donkeys. They don't look like "run of the mill" donkeys - are they a special breed? They look more fluffy than the usual. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful Laura-I really like the fluffy feel to the fur!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! I have really enjoyed painting the deep fleecy coat, I love getting stuck into detail like that.

    I'm not sure what breed they are Lokelani! His dam was actually a regular grey/black jenny so I assume his sire must have been a coloured one and that foals are just extra extra fluffy in winter?! I am interested to find out now you have mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete